We Divide The Sheep Herd

15 October 2008

We seem to have reached the end of what seemed to be a week of bitter southerlies. Spring is never easy with its fluctuating temperatures. I’m either overdressed or underdressed and never quite right.

Saturday morning we had to split the sheep herd in 2 again. We wanted the 2 older lambs to be separated from their mothers so their mothers will hopefully be in lamb again for an autumn birth. Last year we didn’t separate them and the lambs took over 6 months to stop feeding. Spike was the worst. He eventually gave up the udder at 7 months of age. By then he was already as big as his mum and had a decent set of horns to boot. So we got them into the yards with a minimum of fuss but then we had to split the group in 2.

Aaron decided it would be best if he stood outside the yards and operated the gate while I got in the yards and attempted to direct the flow of traffic. I wasn’t too keen. Both Herb and Spike have big sets of horns, and while they couldn’t gore me they could easily smash my kneecaps.

Last year when Spike was just a wee fella he rammed me just below my knees with a force I wasn’t expecting. It hurt like hell. I protested. “You’ll be fine” said Aaron in a tone that suggested I was being silly. I got in and moved toward the flock, they bolted past me, I leapt up the fence. I got down and we repeated the process.

After several more attempts, which resulted in little more than my improving my fence climbing skills, Aaron sighed heavily with frustration. My skills and bravado were clearly lacking. Aaron stood outside the yards giving me instructions. I ignored him. As far as I was concerned this task was going to be more about luck than skilful maneuvering.

Eventually I had 2 of the girls where I wanted them, and then suddenly they turned and one leapt in the air, kicking out as she shot past me and a hoof connected with my thigh. I immediately expressed my displeasure and frustration in no uncertain terms. Aaron sighed again. I was time wasting and he wasn’t impressed.

Eventually we managed to separate sheep one by one until we had all the young ones in the southern paddock and Herb, Thyme, Hazel and Tulip back on the flood plain.

The next day all lambs but one seemed fine. Aaron and I knew it was Thyme’s lamb who was moping because she was doing the same thing. She’s the best mother of the lot but she just doesn’t want to let go. I felt bad and tried to explain to her it was for the best but to be honest I don’t think she was listening, instead she just glared at me from the other side of the paddock. Who can blame her? It can be a harsh world for animals.

As for the fate of her lamb, well, I think that’s information best not shared with her, I suspect she wouldn’t appreciate it.

Jacinda, Quinn and the Boys

Jacinda, Quinn and their boys graced us with their presence Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning. As always the company was a pleasure. It’s a shame distance and commitments mean visits are only ever on an annual basis.

Lockie (3) and Tama (1) appeared to have great fun on the block despite both being unwell. Tama wanted to spend most of his time in the chicken coop playing in the chicken’s water bowl. The chickens meanwhile kept their distance outside the coop.

While the dogs were quite taken with Lockie and vice versa they found Tama altogether too scary. The fast, unpredictable movements of a small child can be quite unnerving.

Amazingly the dogs were incredibly well behaved. I fully expected both children to be licked and jumped on unmercilessly. However, it would seem that Whisky and Coppa have matured somewhat and reserve that pleasure solely for the grown ups now.

Sunday morning Aaron took off down to Troy’s for Bathurst. Jacinda, Quinn and boys stayed for a couple of hours after Aaron had left. At one stage Quinn took the boys back down to revisit the pigs. Upon returning I was informed that Spotty and Stanley had been renamed. They were now called Spot and Stripe. Good call Lockie. Trust a kid to notice the obvious!

Despite our house lacking obvious child friendliness, with its lack of toys and children’s entertainment, it would seem that some children still have the ability to entertain themselves and find fun in simple things. Lockie made a point of telling me I have a great place and he’d like to come back if that was okay. Ahhh bless! Any time Lockie, we’d love to have you back. Oh, and you can bring your parents too if you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment